Land is a precious resource, often at the center of economic, social, and political activities. In India, land records management has long been a complex and challenging task. Riddled with issues like inaccuracies, disputes, and corruption. However, in recent years, technological advancements have paved the way for innovative solutions to address these problems. One such solution is “Jharbhoomi,” a pioneering initiative undertaken by the government of Jharkhand. In this article, we will explore the project in detail. Its objectives, impact, challenges, and the lessons it offers for land records management across India.
When Jharkhand became a separate state from Bihar in 2000. It brought with it a legacy of out-of-date and unreliable land records. Due to their reliance primarily on paper, these records are susceptible to tampering, manipulation, and mismanagement. Land-related corruption was rampant and the state’s development and economic growth harmed by frequent land disputes.
This project launched in 2009 by the government of Jharkhand. Which was aware of the need for a thorough overhaul. They wanted to digitize land records so that they could seen, understood, and free of errors. It aimed to empower landowners, reduce disputes, and increase investment in the state’s real estate sector by utilizing technology.
The goals of Jharbhoomi
The Jharbhoomi project developed with the following primary goals in mind:
- Record Digitization of Land: The primary objective was to securely store and digitize all land records. Including information about land ownership, property boundaries, and transaction history.
- Accessibility and Transparency: The goal of land was to make land records easily accessible to interested parties and landowners. Conflict and corruption would reduced as a result of this transparency.
- Streamlined Land Transfers: The goal of the project was to make land transactions more efficient and less prone to fraud by streamlining the process.
- Incorporation of Aadhaar: They wanted to integrate land records with Aadhaar, India’s biometric identity system, in order to improve accuracy and cut down on identity-related fraud.
- Maps using GIS: To reduce boundary disputes, precise Geographic Information System (GIS) mapping was to used to demarcate property boundaries.
Jharkhand Assembly passes Bill to Use 1932 land Records Jharkhand to ascertain Domicile
A bill that would have used Jharkhand land records from 1932 to determine native people’s domicile status has been approved by the Jharkhand Assembly. “The Jharkhand Definition of Local Persons and for Extending the Consequential Social, Cultural, and Other Benefits to such Local Persons Bill, 2022” is the name of the relevant bill. The native people had long requested that the most recent British land survey, conducted in 1932, be used as the basis for defining “locals.”
The previous cut-off date was 1985. The state government of Jharkhand has made a significant decision to take into account the land records from 1932 in order to determine the local residents of Jharkhand, fulfilling the long-standing demands of Adivasis and tribals. Residents whose ancestral land was recorded in the “Land Survey of 1932” will be considered “Jharkhandi” in accordance with the government’s decision. The government of Jharkhand has clarified that landless residents whose names do not appear in the state’s government land records can approach the gram sabha to have them added to the list.
The Jharkhand government’s official land records portal (land records Jharkhand) island. The Jharkhand Department of Revenue and Land Reforms has created an online portal called (Jharbhoomi nic). In collaboration with the National Informatics Center (NIC), That was developed. The Government of India launched the National Land Records Modernization Program (NLRMP) in 2008 to address all of the issues associated with the land record management system and increase transparency. Digitizing the land record system, reducing property disputes, and increasing transparency are the program’s goals. This portal specifically aims to provide residents of the state with digital copies of land records (online Jharkhand land records).
Step-by-step instructions to log in to your Record on Jharbhoomi.nic.in for Jharkhand Land Records
To sign into the Jharbhoomi portal(Jharbhoomi nic in Jharkhand), follow the bit-by-bit methodology to sign in to the record on the Jharbhoomi Gateway.
- Visit the Jharkhand Land Record Entrance’s true site, jharbhoomi.nic.in, and Snap on the ‘Online Application’ choice on the left-hand side.
- You will diverted to another page underneath
- In the event that you are another client, Snap on the ‘Enlistment’ tab. Fill in every one of the expected subtleties and snap on the “Continue” button. On the off chance that you are an enrolled client, you can straightforwardly continue to sign in with the Email ID, password, and captcha code.
Technological Advances and Implementation
The adoption of a variety of technological advancements was necessary for the successful implementation of Jharbhoomi:
- Digitization of Records: The project made the first steps toward digitizing land records by converting paper records into electronic ones. Each record had to meticulously scanned and indexed as part of this procedure.
- Web-based portal: Landowners and other stakeholders were able to access their land records via an online portal launched by the land. Since this portal provided information in real-time, there was less need to visit government offices in person.
- Incorporation of Aadhaar: Land records gained an additional layer of protection as a result of the integration with Aadhaar authentication. It reduced the possibility of fraudulent transfers by ensuring that land transactions were linked to the identity of the actual owner.
- Maps using GIS: Accurate property boundaries were mapped using Geographic Information System (GIS) technology. As a result, boundary disputes decreased and accuracy in land records increased.
- Mobile apps: The landowners were able to check their records on the go with the help of mobile apps. This made things easier to find and use.
Effect of Jharbhoomi
The Jharbhoomi project essentially affects the land records of the board in Jharkhand:
- Further developed Straightforwardness: They carried extraordinary straightforwardness to land records. Landowners could confirm their records Internet, diminishing the degree of debasement and questions.
- Decrease in Land Debates: The undertaking’s outcome in precisely planning property limits prompted a diminishing in land questions, saving time and assets for the two landowners and the public authority.
- Expanded Speculation: The straightforward and effective land records framework pulled in interest in the state’s land area. Financial backers trusted the precision and dependability of land records, prompting monetary development.
- Strengthening of Landowners: That engaged landowners by giving simple admittance to their records. This decreased their dependence on delegates and merchants, setting aside their cash and lessening the extension for extortion.
- Government Income: The digitization of land records further developed income assortment for the public authority. Exact records prompted more attractive tax assessments and forestalled tax avoidance.
Difficulties and Illustrations
While the Jharbhoomi project has made momentous progress, it likewise confronted a few difficulties:
- Heritage Records: Changing over many years old paper records into computerized design was an overwhelming undertaking, requiring a broad labor supply and assets.
- Protection from Change: Opposition from neighborhood land authorities and middle people who profited from the past hazy framework represented a test during execution.
- Specialized Foundation: Guaranteeing a predictable web network and dependable power supply in rustic regions stayed a test for the task.
- Information Security: Defending computerized land records from digital dangers and guaranteeing information protection is a continuous concern.